What ARE we doing??

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 Unknown 0 Comments





So our newest adventure is moving across the country to Washington State. Why in the world are we making such a move?? Here is a little piece of our story, from a few different angles.

Factually.
About a year and a half ago, Jonathan began the process of applying to Moody Bible Institute. We went to Chicago to visit the area and see what living there would be like. After falling in love with the city and entertaining the thought of moving there, we got the news that his application was denied due to his previous grades. Coming home extremely frustrated, Jonathan then began the process of writing his appeal essay. After waiting for what seemed to be forever, we got the news that they had accepted his appeal and granted him ability to take classes online through their Distance Learning program to basically prove that he could do the work and do well. After doing extremely well in his two classes online (Old and New Testament), Jonathan made the call to see if he could now transfer in. After what seemed to be a painfully long waiting period (again...do you see a pattern here??), we got the news that he had been accepted to the Spokane campus. Excited and terrified, we told our families over Christmas and friends a few weeks later. As of now, Jonathan will go in as a Biblical studies major with an emphasis in missions. We both know this is our next step in training and preparation for ministry and whatever else the Lord has for both of us. We work as such a team and really feel like the Lord is going to use our gifts and abilities together for His glory. It is a beautiful thing that I know I don't thank Jesus for enough.

Emotionally.
At the end of January, we pretty much sold everything we had and moved in with friends family to save money until we make our move the last week in June. My initial way of coping was to ignore what was happening. That worked up until we didn't have a house to call our own and the things we did decide to keep were stored in boxes. It worked until the realities set in of what we are leaving, which seems like everything (jobs, friends, our church home, family, security....) and what we are going to....which seems like nothing. Well, except for each other and beautiful mountains of course.

Side note- Spokane is not the same as Seattle. Contrary to popular belief- it does not rain all the time in Spokane. However, we do appreciate the reoccurring advice to pack rain boots and umbrellas. Moving on...

Being real...I still... 2 months away from moving, ask myself why in the heck we are doing this. I still fear the unknown and long to stay in the comforts of Greenwood. I fear not being able to find a church home like the one we have now. Our church family is such a huge part of our lives, and it is hard to imagine what it will be like without it. I fear hating my new job. I fear not being able to find a place to stay or not being able to take our dog (for those who know me....you know this is a big one). When I think about just a few of these fears on my long list, I can't help but go back to the fact that I fear disobeying my Father above all. To stay would be much worse than leaving all of these wonderful things behind in obedience. I know in my head all the truths the Lord has set before me. Truths that He will prosper us and that He will provide for us. That He is for us and that this time is needed to grow us more into His image.  I can know all of these things all day long and still struggle to believe them in my heart. That is one of my goals in this season, to really believe His truths so deep down that no amount of doubt or fear can them snatch away.

These last few months both Jonathan and I have had to do some major dying to self. Dying to our time, our space, our schedules, our feelings of certainty and security. It has completely stripped us of any entitlement we ever had it seems like haha. I have to laugh thinking about it to keep from crying. No, but for real though. It has been so hard!

But you know, it will all be worth it.

These lessons could not have been learned any other way I don't think. And these lessons are needing to be learned for a reason that we will hopefully see one day.

Jonathan and I have already grown so much closer together. He is the most important person in my life, and I am thrilled that I get to love and support him on this new journey.

Well that is all I have for now- a little glimpse into our story and some lessons I'm trying to stumble through. I hope none of you were expecting some thought provoking, profound wisdom in this post. I don't claim to be a perfect writer with impressive vocabulary! Can you imagine me being like that in real life?? HA!

Until next time friends.






0 comments: